Sunday, September 13, 2009

Stuff they didn't tell you

So I’m interrupting the flow for a moment. Yes, this blog is still about how to write a romance, but instead of continuing with the logical progression of topics, I’m breaking things up. I’ll get back to the elements of a novel next week with characters, who they are, what their make-up is, etc. Today I want to speak about one of the unspoken aspects of writing a romance novel: fear.

Fear accompanies the writer on so many levels. What if I’m not good enough? What if no one likes my story? What if I can’t write another novel? What if I can’t sell my novel? What if I can’t sell another novel? What if I get bad reviews? What if the judges slash my entry? What if my co-workers find out that I write Romance? What if I can’t finish? What if ...

What if my mother/children read/s it?
OK, the last one is a valid fear, but one not so serious.

Writing isn’t about the fear. It’s about the courage. The courage to put yourself on the paper. The courage to submit. The courage to bounce back even when faced with rejection. Or failure. Or low sales. Or editors leaving houses. To face detractors, the ones who laugh at your choice of genre, the ones who hate your book. The courage to keep on writing despite all the things that can and do and might go wrong.

Did no one tell you that writing takes guts?

I’ll see you back here next week for the continuation of How to Write a Romance Novel--Characters, when I’m no longer in the revision swamp.
--Gabi

Books I’m reading now:
Havemercy by Jaida Jones and Danielle Bennett
Nickled and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more, Gabi! Something we face daily. It took me a long time to realize I was so afraid of failure, I was holding myself back.

    But I was also afraid of success to a degree. What if my success wasn't "big" enough? Everyone thinks romance novelists make a million dollars with every book. And we do! In our dreams. :)

    Great post.
    ~D~

    ReplyDelete