Friday, February 26, 2010

True Confessions

I have reached that age when I’m supposed to be dignified and refined. Yeah, that’s not going to work for me. This is my true confessions blog. I’m going to confess and admit in public some embarrassing facts. Actually I’m not embarrassed; in fact I’d like to meet the people who think I should be embarrassed by my tastes.

I’m going to start with candy. You heard me. Candy. I don’t like dark chocolate. I don’t care if it has antioxidants, I don’t like it. I like milk chocolate, and it had better be filled with nuts or caramel, and from a European nation, preferably Switzerland or Germany. But chocolate is easy. I’m not a huge chocolate fan in any case. The candy I really like is bubble gum. The old school stuff--the stuff that’s pink and semi-hard: Bazooka, Dubble Bubble, etc. I also like Pixi Stix, Sweet Tarts, and Lik-M-Aid. That’s right, kid stuff.

I’m not a big drinker. I like my drinks with umbrellas and fruit. I don’t understand wine, and I’m not a connoisseur. I won’t drink red wine, I don’t like white much, but I will drink White Zin. I will also drink what I call Kool-Aid wine--those fruity wines that really have no right to call themselves wine and taste like fruit punch. I know, I know. I would hang my head in shame, but really, I’m fine with it.

I don’t drink coffee unless it has four packets of sugar and lots of cream. It has to taste like hot coffee ice cream. Or it has to be one of the International Coffees…but not the chocolate ones. I like hot chocolate, but I like the whipped cream on top more than the drink itself. I don’t like tea either, which is really a pain on cold mornings.

Pizza is far from my favorite food, I love sardines and liverwurst (although not together), and apples annoy me. I love Disney movies, cried at all the “Thanks, Mom” commercials during the Olympics, and enjoy big commercial movies more than deep artsy ones. I like to stay up late and sleep in late. I take two hour baths when I can and read in the tub, with snacks and drink. I’m afraid of moths (yes, moths, and butterflies don’t thrill me either), like snakes and rodents, and get thrilled when I see any animals of the non-insect kind in the wild, including the rabbits in our neighborhood.

So what about you? What confessions can you make?
--Gabi

What I’m reading now:
Finished my Rita books
The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
The Dark Knight by Frank Miller

3 comments:

  1. Cry anathema on you, dark chocolate rejecter! The rest of your character flaws I accept as writerly foibles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I'll take all the dark chocolate you won't want. I also am with you on the coffee, and sardines.
    Here's something for those who would like to step out a little bit.

    Marinated Tomato and Sardine Salad
    1 Serving
    This low-carb salad is particularly good when plump, garden-fresh tomatoes are in season. Serve it at room temperature for best flavor. We're providing the nutritional information for the salad using 1/2 can of water-packed sardines. Feel free to use a whole can for one serving if you're less concerned with calories than with healthy eating. Sardines are rich in omega-3 fatty acids and are surprisingly low in sodium and saturated fat.

    Ingredients:
    1 large ripe tomato (preferably organic)
    1/2 can sardines (water-packed)
    1/4 cup basil leaves, finely chopped
    1 tsp quality extra virgin olive oil
    1 tsp balsamic vinegar
    1 tsp garlic, finely chopped


    Instructions:
    You can use the tomato as is (unpeeled and with seeds) but the salad is better if you peel the tomato after plunging it briefly in boiling water, and then remove the seeds. This reduces the water in the finished salad. Cut the tomato pulp into large chunks.

    Mix together the dressing ingredients (olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fresh garlic) and stir in the chopped basil leaves. Add the drained sardines and the tomato chunks.

    Serve at room temperature, on a bed of salad greens or spinach

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dark chaocolate was invented so that chocolate lovers could create a hierarchy. (LOL)

    That recipe sounds almost too healthy, Brenda. But yummy.
    --Gabi

    ReplyDelete