Monday, January 31, 2011

Timing is everything

Just a quick note this week. A few events made me think about timing. The first is that job I told you about. I applied and within a few days of applying the job was pulled. When I inquired, the school said that they have filled the position for the year and if the position will be open for the fall, they would let me know. Yeah, I don't buy it. Really, I was highly qualified for this position and I didn't even get consideration. But it's not all bad. I will be a full time writing come the end of May, and that's good.

Second is RWA National. Because of hotel rennovations (that's what I heard, the conference this year is being held nearly a month earlier. Because of the change in date I won't be attending for the first time in years (I chose not to attend one other national conference for reasons that I don't want to get into right now.) But I'm missing the New York conference because--and this is a GREAT excuse--I'll be in Europe. Yes, one of the twins will be studying in Budapest starting in March, and we'll be flying over to join up with her in June, so I won't be back in time. (I know you're feeling sorry for me right now)

Third, my other daughter (they're twins, you know) came home from her study abroad program Dec 23, 2010. Why is this a matter of timing? She was studying in Cairo. I wish the people of Egypt the best in achieving a democracy and a government they can admire and support, but I'm glad she's home.

--Gabi
Books I'm reading now:
Fired Up by Jayne Ann Krentz
Fat Chance by Rhonda Pollero
Catch of a Lifetime by Judi Fennell

3 comments:

  1. Gabi, I feel so bad that you have to suffer through a trip to Budapest. NOT! You're right, though -- timing is everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the best solution would be for RWA to hold its conference here in Europe.

    Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, Kathy, wouldn't that be fun. But really it's just a few hour flight for you. It's on NYC this year.

    On a more amusing note, here's the difference between a parents point of view and the child's. When I spoke to the daughter who was in Egypt, she said that she chose the wrong semester to be studying in Cairo. She wanted to be there now so she could see history being made. (>shakes head<)

    ReplyDelete