Friday, May 4, 2012

How Star Wars Changed my Life


I had heard that it was a great movie. That I had to go see it. The buzz was everywhere. So my mother and I went on a mommy date to Westwood to watch this new movie called Star Wars. We waited in line for over an hour (that was my first time for an over an hour wait--lining up at the movie theater? Unheard of.) And then the titles started to roll, and I mean roll. What followed was an amazing 122 minutes of an adventure that spoke to me. It had good guys and bad guys and robots. A love story (I knew it was coming). Good vs. Evil. And space. Who knew I liked space?
I saw that movie six times that summer (I was in boarding school at the time and didn't get to the movies during the school year). And the way it was told, the story line, the over-the-top-grab-your-seat adventure changed the way I viewed books and movies. That's what I wanted to see and read. And when it came time to realize that I am a writer, that's the kind of story I wanted to tell--plot (lots of it) characters to root for, villains to fight, a cause worth dying for, and adventure--maybe not between stars, but big for the setting.
My mother hated the movie.
(May the 4th be with you. There is nothing inner about my geek.)
--Gabi
Books I'm reading now:
Timeless by Gail Carriger

2 comments:

  1. Love the story. Hehehe.

    Now, let's talk about Avengers.....:P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Won't get to Avengers until after next week. This week is graduations (that's right, two. Twins, you know.)

    ReplyDelete