Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Comfort...uh,...things

I just finished spring break. I had a list of things to do, finished most of them, and still had time to just have fun. (Gotta love a vacation) I read, watched TV and DVD's, and enjoyed great weather. I even wrote a lot. Overall I had a lovely, relaxing week.

So I got to thinking, what are the things I turn to to find comfort? First foods. If I didn't dislike cooking so much, I'd make comfort foods all the time. This past week I did make one of my favorites--veggie lasagna. But the other ones (which I didn't make): clam linguini, rakott krumpli (a Hungarian potato and sausage dish), spaghetti carbonara (are you getting the hint I like carbs?)...okay, now I'm just getting hungry.

I watched "Bones" on Netflix on the Wii this week too. I hadn't seen the show before, but had heard good things, so I tried it. And liked it. I'm in the second season now and enjoying the brainiac characters and the sparring of the two main characters. I really don't watch a lot of TV. I havn't seen (No angry letters please) Buffy, Firefly, only a few of Monk. Heck I don't even have cable channels unless I'm in a hotel. Here are some of my other TV show favorites: Glee, Amazing Race, House, The Mentalist

Movies? When I want to laugh: Notting Hill. When I want to sing: Sound of Music. When I want to cheer: Star Wars. Others: Indiana Jones (I know that's not one movie, but you get the idea), Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, LadyHawke, Casablanca, To Catch a Thief, Bringing Up Baby, The Shawshank Redemption, Disney (pretty much every one) and so many more.

Books: Bewitching, Dandelion Wine, To Kill a Mockingbird, From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler, And Then There Were None; I, Robot; Phantom Tollbooth, and so many more. Yes, I left out romance novels on purpose, except for the one listed first. That one has a special place in my heart.

I didn't even begin to list drinks, candy, places, clothes, or people. This blog was already getting too self-centered.

So what are your comfort items?
--Gabi

Don't forget my contest: http://freshfiction.com/contest.php?id=3261

Books I'm reading now:
Reader and Raelynx by Sharon Shinn
Fortune and Fate by Sharon Shinn

3 comments:

  1. My comfort items. The first I turn to find comfort from is a small white and yellow stuffed cat I got when my dads mother died. I don't know why, I didn't really know her, but everytime I stroke its head or touch it it soothes me.

    Next is food. Well, ice cream. Anything Ben & Jerries. lol.

    For comfort from drinks I turn to Celesteal Seasonings Tenson Tamer Tea. I drink one big cup with 2 tea bags in it and just forgert everything.

    Long long hot baths and candles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love baths. With a book and something to drink and snack on. (TMI?)
    --Gabi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Knotting Hill - that's one of my comfort movies, too. Along with Clueless, Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion, Bed of Roses and the Keira Knightly version of Pride & Prejudice. I keep all those around, just so I can watch them if I'm sad or sick.

    ReplyDelete